Lud in the Mist (6 pts): The Fairy Fruit is Turning the Children Gay!!

     I'm going to be completely honest here. Despite all the glowing reviews from people like Neil Gaiman and Mary Gentle, Lud in the Mist did not have me hooked at all... at first. I did not care for Ranulph freaking out and screaming over everything, or Nathaniel Chanticleer's mayoral duties and upper class mannerisms, or the Crabapple Blossoms getting trolled by a dude named Willy Wisp. Everyone's got way too many syllables in their names, the fact that Fairy Fruit could be considered an analogy for homosexuality made it hard for me to take everyone's fear of it seriously (especially in this day and age) and for the love of all things holy, if "toasted cheese" was meant to be a serious exclamation of surprise, then I was not having it at all. It was too whimsical and silly for me. I think part of it has to do with the way we see fairies nowadays, with images of Tinkerbell and sparkly children's characters coming to mind. Sure, they can be mischievous, but not malicious.

    But then my view of the novel changed when Dame Marigold discovered the hollow panel in the Guild Hall. It suddenly turned Lud in the Mist into a sort of "whodunnit", drug-smuggling story in a fantasy setting. Every story point converges from here on out. Nathaniel Chanticleer does some detective-level digging into the case of the widow Gibberty's murder trial, he and Ambrose Honeysuckle figure out that Endymion Leer and the widow are in cahoots and are partaking in the smuggling of Fairy Fruit into Lud- Nat is even framed for having the fruit in his clock by the clock-winder's apprentice. It honestly felt like I was reading a mystery novel from that point onwards, and it intrigued me. I love a good mystery, and enjoy putting together the pieces of evidence in order to solve it. It reminded me of family game nights of Clue, where we're all scrambling to figure out the culprit, weapon and room. While there was no specific room or weapon, there were multiple culprits involved!

    The ending is actually what surprised me the most. It was extremely satisfying to see the good doctor and the widow get their comeuppance, and to see Hazel and Miss Ivy Peppercorn use their girl power to stop a strike. But to read about Nat's encounter with the Duke, to see a glimpse of Fairyland, and to watch Master Nathaniel Chanticleer jump into the abyss, only to return with the Fairy army and his missing son... man. It made for a wonderful conclusion to a weird novel. And though I still stand by my thoughts that the beginning of Lud in the Mist was a drag, I'm glad I stuck with it to the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Comet (5 pts): Dismantling Racial Discrimination Through Tragedy

Babel-17 (5 pts): Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones...

Gyo (3pts): Taking Marine-Themed Horror to the Next Level